We receive dozens of text messages on our Android phones daily, most of which can be classified as spam. You may have decided to delete all irrelevant text messages and in doing so, deleted an important one that you needed by mistake. It happens to the best of us. If you did, there is no need to panic as there are ways to recover those messages. There are two ways depending on whether you created a backup of your phone before you lost the messages or not.
Restoring Deleted Text Messages via Backup
You can restore your backup to recover deleted text messages if you have enabled Google Drive backups on your Android phone. However, you should keep in mind that this requires a factory reset, which means all data on your phone will be erased. Back up any important files on your phone before proceeding.
- Once you are ready to factory reset your phone, go to Settings and tap on System.
- From the list of options, select Reset options, followed by Reset all data (factory reset).
- To complete resetting your phone, follow the onscreen instructions.
- After that, start setting up your phone from scratch.
- When your phone prompts you to sign in with a Google account, select the account you used to back up your phone.
- This will allow you to access your Google Drive backup.
- Then select “Restore data from backup”, select your Google Drive backup and enable the “SMS messages” option. You should soon see your messages restored.
Restore deleted text messages without backup
If you hadn’t enabled Google Drive backup on your phone, hope is not lost. You can always rely on some Android data recovery apps available in the market. Two of these best-known apps are PhoneRescue and Dr Fone Android Data Recovery, among others. Once you install these apps, you will find that they are very self-explanatory and work similarly to scan your phone for lost data including text messages. However, these apps are expensive and there is no restoration guarantee.
For added security, it is always recommended to enable backups on your phone.
Read all the latest news, breaking news and updates on coronavirus here.