Whether you’re a seasoned Android user or have recently upgraded from iOS to a new Google Pixel 7 Pro, the tools you’re looking for can be built right into Android. For example, if you want to edit your photos or videos, some of the basic editing features are available in Google Photos, which is the default gallery app on most Android devices. One of the core features of the Google Photos feature set includes the ability to crop videos.
Although Google Photos is an option, manufacturers like Samsung have also introduced video editing features into their default gallery apps. However, if you don’t like using the default apps, you can also download an open-source third-party app to crop and edit videos.
How to Crop a Video on Your Android Phone
Cropping videos on Android is simple. Here’s how to do it using two of the most popular gallery apps: Google Photos and Samsung Gallery.
Crop your video in the Google Photos app
- Install Google Photos if you don’t already have it.
- Go to the application menu and launch Pictures.
- Go to the Search tab and press Videos.
- Find and tap the video you want to edit.
- Faucet Edit and go to Crop section.
- Adjust borders and press save copy.
- When finished, the result is saved in your Gallery.
Depending on your device’s processing power, the Photos app may take some time to save the edited video. While it’s easy to edit videos on the fly, the app also offers plenty of photo editing features to help you excel in mobile photography.
How to Crop Videos in Samsung Gallery on Your Galaxy Phone or Tablet
If you have a Samsung A-series smartphone or tablet, you’ll have to rely on Google Photos because the Samsung Gallery app doesn’t have video editing features. If, however, you own a Samsung flagship, you can use Samsung Gallery to crop your video:
- Open the Samsung Gallery application.
- Select a video and press the Edit icon.
- Press the Crop icon.
- Adjust the edges and press to safeguard.
Apart from cropping videos, the app also allows you to rotate, flip, set aspect ratio and change video perspective. Overall, Samsung Gallery is a bit more comprehensive than Google Photos when it comes to photo and video editing tools.
Use Simple Gallery Pro open source app to crop your video
Simple Gallery Pro is part of the Simple Mobile Tools suite, which contains several open source Android application projects. Being open source means apps won’t require unnecessary permissions and steal your data.
- Install Simple Gallery Pro.
- Launch Simple Gallery Pro.
- Open the video you want to edit and tap the Edit icon.
- Faucet Transform and adjust the borders.
- When finished, press the Check icon followed by to safeguard icon.
- The app then exports the video. When done, it asks you where you want to save the file.
- Press the Path to browse to the correct location and press OKAY to save the video.
Although the user interface of the app is not the best, it is feature rich and ticks most of the boxes. If you are looking for a flexible photo/video editor for Android, Simple Gallery Pro should be at the top of your list.
Editing photos and videos on Android has never been easier
With the growing number of digital content creators on social media, people appreciate the ease of editing videos and photos from their smartphones to post on their handles. Although photo and video editing apps on phones aren’t as comprehensive as PC tools, they’ve come a long way in the past few years. For example, some of the best photo-editing apps, like Google Snapseed and Adobe Lightroom, offer a wide selection of tools to enhance your images.
And if you’re new to smartphone photography, you can follow some photo editing tips to make your photos come alive.