With the ubiquity of high-quality smartphone cameras and instant messaging services, it’s not uncommon for people to struggle with their smartphone storage being too full because of images. If you’re one of those people, this quick how-to guide will show you how to back up your photos to a cloud storage service to free up space on your phone.
Most Android phones come with Google Photos, a photo sharing and storage service that allows users to back up their photos to Google Drive seamlessly. If you don’t already have the app, it is available for free download from the Google Play Store. Here’s how you can back up all your photos using the app:
- Open the Google Photos app.
- Click on your profile picture in the upper right corner.
- There will be a button labeled “Enable backup” below a message that says “Backup is disabled” by default unless you have enabled it.
Click on the button.
- You will be greeted with a dialog box, click on the button that says “Enable Backup”
- Here, Google Photos will present you two options: you can either save the photos in their original quality which will consume more Drive space or you can choose to save them with the “Storage saver” mode which will save them with a slightly lower quality. lower.
- Press confirm.
- Google Photos will start backing up your photos to the cloud
If you want to save the images to your phone, Google Photos is far from your only option. Dropbox is a file hosting service that offers many of the same features as Google Drive. But unlike Google, it only offers 2 GB of storage space to users on the free plan. If you need more space than that, you’ll need to sign up for one of the many dropbox plans.
Download the Dropbox app from the Google Play Store and sign in to your new account or create a new one. After that, you can follow these steps to backup your photos to Dropbox cloud:
- Open the Dropbox app on your phone
- Click the “Upload photos or videos” button
- This will take you to a screen where you can select the images you want to save.
- After selecting the photos, click the “Upload” button.
- The app will back up the photos you selected to the cloud.